Brother was one of the first brands I got acquainted with when I started sewing and when I was asked to research and write about the best Brother sewing machines, I was excited to continue learning more about their history and current products. You read it correctly, I am no expert. But having used at least three brands by Brothers, I believe my comparison and picks for the overall best Brother sewing machine will be objective and informative enough for you to get all the info you need to make your purchase decision.
Our Top Picks;
- Brother CS600000i – Overall best pick and Editor’s Choice
- Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW Electric Sewing Machine – Best for beginners
- Brother XR9550PRW Computerized Sewing Machine – Best computerized Brother Sewing Machine
- Brother XR3774 Sewing Machine – Best Mechanical Brother Sewing Machine
- Brother HC1850 Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine – Best Brother Sewing Machine for Quilting
- Brother PQ1500SL Quilting and Sewing Machine – Best for expert sewers
- Brother XM2701 Sewing Machine – Best portable Brother Sewing Machine
- Serger DZ1234 – Best Advanced Sewing Machine
- Brother 2340CV – Best Brother Sewing Machine for Stitching and Hemming
Top 9 Best Brother Sewing Machines Reviews 2022
1. Brother CS6000i Sewing Machine
The Brother CS6000i sewing machine is a very helpful manual that simplifies the whole process experience for you and is easy to use. If you want a fully computerized sewing machine to make everything extremely convenient while working then don’t hesitate to get this.
With the Brother CS6000i sewing machine being at an incredible value within your budget, this sewing machine has a wide variety of quilting features that come with it.
The sewing machine comes with every accessory that you need to complete your sewing crafts and projects. It provides all the necessary feet so you don’t need to purchase any other basic foot to attach. It also has push-button sewing, automatic needle threading, and lots of fun built-in stitches.
For instance, the Brother CS6000i has 60 built-in sewing stitches for your different sewing projects such as a variety of one-step buttonhole styles and decorative stitches.
This machine is designed for your easy use and has an easy to view LCD backlit display, adjustable sewing speed, easy to follow threading diagrams, and an automatic needle threader to make your life less complicated.
To add on, the user manual is bilingual with very helpful instructions. If you are on a budget, then this Brother CS6000i sewing machine is the best value when it comes to saving a little bit of money. Pros
- 60 built-in stitches
- Automatic needle threader
- Drop-in top bobbin
- LCD display
- Users claim there was an E6 error
2. Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW Electric Sewing Machine
Brother CS5055PRW Electric Sewing Machine is definitely on the check-list for being the best sewing machines for beginners.
This sewing machine offers everything you need to sew with one-touch convenience that could make a beginner’s life easier. It includes a zipper foot, built-in zipper insertion stitch to help with the neat lines, and help with the stitch close to the edges.
Thanks to the 7 one-step buttonhole stitches, it allows an overcasting to get you a serger result and designer topstitching. Just add in an easy bobbin winding then you’ll be sewing in no time with your Brother CS5055PRW electric sewing machine. Pros
- LCD Screen
- 50 built-in stitches
- Easy to load bobbin
- Issues with the machine not functioning
Brother XR9550PRW Computerized Sewing Machine is an amazing machine for intermediate sewists.
The sewing machine is an ideal choice for all your sewing needs, home purposes, and as well as those who run small home-based businesses. If you are searching for a sewing embroidery machine then this sewing machine serves a dual purpose with the perfection of sewing and quilting.
This sewing machine is shipped with a hard case and oversized extension table to handle a large piece of fabric easily with 110 built-in stitches for decorating your projects for different stitch patterns and includes 8 styles of 1 step automatic buttonholes.
There are other features including an automatic needle threader, easy threading system, free arm, and drop feed for quilting. This is specifically designed for durability as well as the flexibility to enable you to craft unique and interesting projects for decorations.
The Brother XR9550PRW Computerized Sewing Machine also has a large LCD screen in the front which presents the chosen stitch and to change stitch needs, just press a button given below the LCD screen.Pros
- 8 sewing feet included
- Hard case and wide table
- Not ideal to sew plush fabric or delicate fleece
The Brother XR3774 Sewing Machine is a mechanical machine that is simply easy to set up and operate with very good ratings. It seems to be hard to find any particularly negative review on this Brother XR3774 sewing machine.
The most common comments under the Brother XR3774 sewing machine are the clear well-written instructions provided and the DVD is very useful.
These sewing machines come in at a reasonably good price which is suitable for beginners and for those who have some experience with sewing. If you are someone looking to do more advanced sewing projects then this may not be the one for you.
There are limitations when it comes to a large number of stitches or features. However, if you are a beginner then this sewing machine is the one for you due to its easy to understand and operate.
This is a lightweight machine that makes it quite portable and has enough features for beginners to have some experience to grow with the machine. Pros
- Easy to use
- 37 built-in stitches
- Extended free arm and table
- One-step buttonhole
- No automatic bobbin winder
The Brother HC1850 Sewing and Quilting Machine are one of the most reliable, versatile, and feature-packed sewing machines out there.
This sewing and quilting machine is highly recommended for beginners because it’s very easy to use and a great asset in the hands of any beginner.
This Brother sewing machine is excellent for stitching that has a detachable wide table with 14 different quilting stitch functions and a spring action quilting foot. The Brother HC1850 is preloaded with 130 stitches for your multiple applications that have 8 different styles of one-step auto-sized buttonholes. And has a sewing font and 55 alphanumeric stitches for basic monogramming that comes with decorative stitches for clothing, quilting, and heirloom sewing.
One amazing pro about this sewing machine is it comes with all the feet that you will possibly need such as the monogramming foot, overcasting foot, zigzag foot, blind stitch foot, quilting foot, zipper foot, and buttonhole foot. Pros
- LCD Screen
- 185 built-in stitches
- Advanced needle threader
- May run into problems with the machine (not working or need replace)
6. Brother PQ1500SL Quilting and Sewing Machine
Brother PQ1500SL Sewing and Quilting Machine is the powerhouse for the expert sewers and quilters.
It is a heavy-duty sewing machine for those who are starting their own business or offer services as a seamstress. It comes with an automatic needle trimmer and automatic needle threader that can save you precious time instead of doing it manually.
The Brother PQ1500SL sewing and quilting machine can handle every sewing task as well as the quilting need with ease. The machine is a straight stitch that could be used in a manufacturing unit as well because of the sewing speed that it’s given. Because it used a fast technique for needle threading, its ability to sew with a speed of 1,500 stitches per minute is what makes it one of the fastest sewing machines out there.
Also, the machine can make stitches as huge as 7mm with ease that comes with a sideloaded bobbin. On that note, this is a good choice if you have to make straight stitches because it only comes with 1 stitching option.
- 1,500 stitches per minute
- Precision pin feeding system
- Includes everything you need to get started
- May be difficult to work with
The Brother XM2701 Sewing Machine is specially designed for beginners who enjoy a very lightweight and portable sewing machine with a beautiful design.
If you’re looking for a sewing machine that has basic minimum features and doesn’t want to spend a lot of money then this is the sewing machine to purchase. This Brother XM2701 sewing machine features an automatic needle threader, easy to use, automatic bobbin winding, and jam-free top drop-in bobbin.
With these such nice features, beginners can get started as soon as possible and gain more experience with crafting and sewing. A comparison to the Brother CS6000i, this Brother XM2701 comes with a big rotary dial to change the stitches.
It has a fixed from the front and above it, the machine has all the stitches explained in a chart as you can see the number of any particular stitch and rotate the dial to choose one. It comes with a 1 style of the 1 step automatic buttonhole and shipped with 6 sewing feet. Although the Brother XM2701 sewing machine comes with 27 built-in stitches versus the Brother CS6000i that comes with 60 built-in stitches.
The XM2701 is still a great option because it’s less expensive than the Brother CS6000i and it’s user-friendly for newbies who are just starting that don’t want to spend a lot on their first sewing machine. Pros
- 72 built-in stitches
- A versatile free arm
- Automatic needle threader
- Some users stated issues with the tension
8. Brother DZ1234 Serger
There is a time and place when sewers want to enhance their skills and take a step to a more advanced level, and when this happens, it’s a wise choice to purchase a serger.
Although sergers don’t have many different abilities and options as a sewing machine does, it can still serve a very important function. For instance, if you want to clean up your fabric so there will be no stray threads, this is when serger steps in.
The Brother Serger DZ1234 provides a lot of great choices such as the type of stitches available and adjusting the settings depending on what type of fabric you are working on. This serger includes a blind hem stitch foot, gathering foot, two sets of thread, and a piping foot which allows you to create some creative designs.
The Brother Serger DZ1234 can look a bit confusing at first but depending on your pattern, you need at least four spools of thread that need to be threaded into the right needle.
On the bright side, the serger has color-coded thread paths that can make the task a lot easier than it once was. The Serger has an amazing 1300 spm speed which you can certainly finish a ton of fabric in a very short period.
Also, the worksite has a bright LED light that can help to know where you are and how your project is going.Pros
- Easy to use and thread
- Includes 3 accessory feet
- 1,300 stitches per minute
- Some users claim the machine didn’t last long
The Brother 2340CV isn’t exactly a serger but it’s a cover stitch machine. This machine is perfect if you’re into advanced sewing and working on projects such as one that requires making cover stitches or hemming.
Although a high-end serger can be another option, it’s going to be more complicated and time-consuming versus the 2340CV. Using the Brother 2340CV is going to be more convenient and not to mention, you’ll end up with nice cover stitches.
- 1,100 stitches per min
- Easy to thread
- Accessory feet
- Made with metal frame
- Some users run into issues with this machine
Buying Guide for the Best Brother Sewing Machines in 2022
Brief about Brother Brand
Brother was founded in 1908 by two brothers in Japan, a country known for its strong textile industry. Since then, the company has grown into one of the world’s largest sewing machine manufacturers and is now based in Taiwan. Throughout its long history, Brother has been committed to innovation, quality, and customer satisfaction. Their sewing machines are made to last so you can feel confident investing in one of their products.
Why choose Brother sewing machines? 5 Reasons
There are a few reasons you might want to consider Brother sewing machines.
- Firstly, they offer good value for money. Their machines are well made and backed by a long history of quality craftsmanship.
- Durability: Brother sewing machines are built to last. If you take care of your machine, it could easily last for decades.
- Ease of use: Brother sewing machines are designed for simplicity and user-friendliness. Even their most complex models are relatively easy to use, making them a great choice for beginners.
- Wide range of options: Brother offers a wide range of sewing machines that can be tailored to meet your needs. Whether you are looking for something basic or more advanced, they have a machine that will work for you.
- And finally, their customer service is excellent, so you can be confident that you’ll be taken care of if you have any problems with your machine.
What to look for when choosing a Brother sewing machine
When choosing a Brother sewing machine, there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind.
- Firstly, consider what kind of sewing you’ll be doing. If you’re looking for a basic machine to start with, one of their lower-end models would be a good choice. But if you need something more advanced, they offer many higher-end models with additional features and options.
- Secondly, think about your budget. While Brother sewing machines are generally more affordable than other brands, you can often find good deals on their models.
- Ease of use: Most Brother sewing machines are easy to use, even for beginners. But some of their higher-end models can be more complicated, so make sure you’re comfortable with the features and controls before you buy.
- Safety cover: One nice feature that some Brother models have is a safety cover. This can help protect your fingers from the needle while you’re sewing.
- Free arm: Many Brother machines come with a free arm, which can be very useful for sewing sleeves and pant legs. Make sure you get a brand with this feature if you think you’ll need it.
- Accessory storage: Some models have built-in accessory storage, which can be very handy. This way, you can keep all your feet, bobbins, and other accessories in one place.
- Stitches per minute: If you need to work quickly, you’ll want a machine with a high maximum stitch per minute (SPM). Most of Brother’s sewing machines have an SPM of up to 1,500. Get the one with the highest SPM if you’ll need to stitch or sew quickly
- Foot presser option: Make sure you go for a machine that has a foot presser option, as this can be very helpful when working with thick fabrics.
- Adjustable speed: Many Brother models have adjustable speed control, which can be very useful. This way, you can slow the machine down if you’re working with a delicate fabric or need more precision. Don’t miss picking one with this feature.
- LED lights: Some models have built-in LED lights, which can be very helpful when sewing. They provide a clear, bright light that can make it easier to see what you’re doing.
Brother is known to make sergers, quilting machines, industrial sewing machines, embroidery machines, computerized sewing machines, and as well as other electronic equipment.
Their corporate headquarters is in the United States but they are owned by the Brother Industries LTD of Nagoya, Japan. Fun fact: the brother industries is the supplier of sewing machines for a television show called Project Runway.
Brother is one of the most popular brands for sewing machines due to this one reason: their sewing machines do exactly what it says it will do.
With a great value pricing on sewing machines that surprisingly are high quality and are one of the best, you can learn more than just sewing with a Brother machine.
What defines this brand is the small footprints and great stability which mean there is a space in your home at this moment for one of the best-worthy sewing machines out there!
The Models for Every Need
If you are a beginner who wants to start learning how to sew then an entry-level model from Brother is a way to go. With a variety of built-in stitches on most Brother models and few flexibilities in how each stitch is placed, you will get started in no time or even after taking the sewing machine out of the box.
If you have a couple of projects that you are planning to achieve and need a sewing machine that will give you consistent stitch then a mid-range Brother model is what you are looking for. A mid-range Brother model is provided in a way that you have a more stable machine versus the entry-level models.
The entry-level Brother models are best when it comes to light work and first-time sewing because the machine can wobble just a bit here and there which can conflict with a few missed stitches. Using a fact-based approach, soon enough you’ll find a Brother sewing machine that could be the best fit for you!
Types of Brother Sewing Machines; which one is best for you?
Now that we’ve gone over some of the things to look for when choosing a Brother sewing machine, let’s take a look at some of the different types they offer.
Quilting and sewing machines: These machines are designed for quilting and sewing, and they come with a variety of features to make your life easier. Look for one with a wide range of stitches, an automatic needle threader, and a drop-in bobbin.
Embroidery machines: If you’re interested in embroidery, Brother offers a few options with this feature. Choose one that has a full-color LCD display, an automatic thread trimmer, and the ability to create your own designs.
Serger sewing machines: These machines are designed for working with all kinds of fabrics, from thin silk to heavy denim. They’re more advanced than regular sewing machines, so if you’re a beginner, you may want to start with something else. But if you’re experienced, a serger machine can be a great choice.
Beginner sewing machines: If you’re just starting out as a sewer, you may want to start with one of Brother’s beginner sewing machines. These models are simple to use and ideal for beginners. They come with standard features like an adjustable stitch length, automatic threading, and free-arm sewing.
How much do Brother Sewing Machines Cost?
Prices for Brother sewing machines can vary depending on the type and features you’re looking for. Their quilting and sewing machines start at around $200, while their embroidery machines start at around $700. Their serger machines start at around $500, and their beginner machines start at around $100. So, there’s a machine for every budget.
Q: What is the best Brother sewing machine for a beginner?
A: If you’re just starting out, we recommend one of their beginner machines. These models are designed to be simple and easy-to-use, with features like automatic threading and adjustable stitch length. They start at around $100.
Q: Are Brother sewing machines good or worth it?
A: Brother sewing machines are known for their quality, durability, and ease of use. They offer a wide range of features to suit every need and budget. So, we think they’re definitely worth considering if you’re in the market for a new machine.
If you’re looking to purchase the best brother sewing machine, then you might want to consider one of these top 9 that I have provided for you. They all come with an amazing price and quality features. Hopefully, everyone can learn and grow with this sewing machine brand!