Being tight for cash or on a budget doesn’t necessarily mean you have to sacrifice quality when purchasing a new Sewing Machine.
There are many options to purchase that won’t cost you more than $100. We have compiled a list of 7 of the best sewing machines under 100.
All products in this list will be sewing machines for beginners, people on a budget, etc. They are all unique in their own way. Coming with a wide array of features and accessories each of these can handle quite a bit of everyday DIY sewing and even some heavier duty work as well.
I won’t keep you waiting any longer – here is our list of the 7 best options for affordable sewing machines.
- 1 Best Sewing Machines Under 100 – 7 Great Options
- 2 2. Brother Jx2517 Full Size Sewing Machine
- 2.1 3. Janome Fastlane Sewing Machine
- 2.2 4. Singer Start 1304 Sewing Machine
- 2.3 5. Singer Tradition 2259 Sewing Machine
- 2.4 6. Michley LSS-505 Multi-Purpose Sewing Machine
- 2.5 7. Luby Portable Sewing Machine
- 3 Things to Consider Before Buying
- 4 Conclusion
Best Sewing Machines Under 100 – 7 Great Options
|Brother XM2701 Lightweight Sewing Machine||Check On Amazon|
|Brother Jx2517 Full Size Sewing Machine||Check On Amazon|
|Singer Start 1304 Sewing Machine||Check On Amazon|
|Singer Tradition 2259 Sewing Machine||Check On Amazon|
|Janome Fastlane Sewing Machine||Check On Amazon|
|Michley LSS-505 Multi-Purpose Sewing Machine||Check On Amazon|
|Luby Portable Sewing Machine||Check On Amazon|
1. Brother XM2701 Lightweight Sewing Machine
|Dimension||12.1 x 5.9 x 15.3 inches|
|Sewing feet for quick change||6|
This is one of the best sewing machines on the market. This specific model is known for how easy it is to learn, and how many functions it comes with. However, this is not just for beginners as it is a great choice for experienced sewers and professionals alike. The price tag makes it a great choice for anyone on a tight budget but does not want to sacrifice quality.
- Comes with 63 different stitch functions and 27 built-in stitches.
- 6 different sewing pins – decorative sewing, zigzag sewing, button sewing, and zipper sewing
- Support of two bobbin for double stitching for more certainty
- Large Machine but does not create a loud noise.
2. Brother Jx2517 Full Size Sewing Machine
|Item Weight||10 Pounds|
|Item Dimensions||15 x 6 x 12 inches|
Brother Jx2517 is very popular for beginners trying to get into sewing. If the plan is to purchase a great quality beginner machine, then this product might be for you. Its lightweight simplistic design makes for an easy experience. This is very much a bang for your buck machine.
- Comes with 38 stitch functions and 17 built-in stitches
- Equipped with an automatic buttonhole
- Storage for miscellaneous accessories is built into the product
- 900 stitches per minute
- The machine comes with a thread cutter
- Extra needle pins
This might be an ideal starter machine for you or a loved one you are trying to introduce to the world of sewing. The machine can handle any fabric but if you are using heavier fabrics you could run into some difficulties. Regardless, this model is a great choice for under $100.
3. Janome Fastlane Sewing Machine
|Dimension||10.5 x 5 x 9 inches|
The next on the list for best sewing machines under 100 is this great product from Janome. This specific model is designed to be very compact and portable while also coming in a variety of colors. This tends to be a great choice for someone living in a small area like dorms, apartments, or people who are just taking classes and have to constantly bring their machines around to different places.
This machine is not the best option for under $100, however it will do what you need it to if you are a beginner trying to get involved. The best option might be to start with this machine and then once you get more comfortable with sewing in general you can level up to a better, more advanced machine.
- Includes 10 integrated stitches like zigzag, straight, and two needle positions
- Bobbin drop-in front
- Built-in storage, and a free arm allows for skill-building and experimentation with different styles
- Finger guard and a presser foot
4. Singer Start 1304 Sewing Machine
|Dimension||13 x 7 x 11.5 inches|
The next machine we would recommend would be this product from Singer. This specific model is a very good choice for beginners, people on the go, and experienced sewers alike. It is a very portable and compact machine but that does not take away from the durability of the product. TheSinger 1304 has a metal frame which makes for a very strong and sturdy machine.
- 6 built-in stitches such as straight, blind hem, zipper, zigzag, sewing buttons, and scallop
- Speed: 350-400 stitches per minute
- 3 different types of presser foot: multi-function presser foot, zipper leg, sewing button
- 4 step buttonhole
5. Singer Tradition 2259 Sewing Machine
|Dimension||15 x 6.2 x 12 inches|
If you are looking for a trustworthy and portable sewing machine this might be the one for you. With a very compact and sleek design, the Singer 2259 allows for a true get up and go operation. Take this machine anywhere. It has a very easy to change stitch dial and many features that add to the machine’s effectiveness.
- 19 built-in stitches
- 4 step buttonhole
- Lots of free accessories
- Snap-on presser foot
- Machine introduction DVD and manual
6. Michley LSS-505 Multi-Purpose Sewing Machine
|Dimensions:||10.8 x 4.8 x 10.2|
The reason this machine is on the list of best sewing machines under $100 is because of it’s lightweight, easy to use, and versatile design.
Another big selling point for this machine is the fact that it comes with an AC adapter to get rid of the need for batteries. It also has an LED on the machine to make it easier to see when stitching.
- 8 built-in stitches
- Dial to witch stitches
- LED Light
- Replaceable presser foot
- Top drop-in bobbin
7. Luby Portable Sewing Machine
|Dimensions:||11.4 x 5.1 x 9.6|
Last, but not least on the list is this great portable machine. This one, like many of the others, is a great beginner sewing machine. This is a great option because it has many features, accessories, and is very easy to use. The Luby Portable comes with a great guide to help younger sewers (or people who are new to sewing) out a lot. Many users of this machine have found they have learned how to successfully use it within the first few hours of use.
One of the biggest upsides to owning this device is the double thread stitching that allows for projects to be completed without any knotting issues.
It doesn’t matter how skilled you are at sewing, this machine would be a great investment. There are also many instructional videos out there to help if you ever get stuck on a project.
- Four-step buttonhole presser foot
- 12 built-in stitches
- 2 different sewing speeds
- User guide
Things to Consider Before Buying
When shopping for something like a sewing machine, it can come with many questions. To pick the right machine for you, you are going to have to ask yourself what your wants and needs are in the machine.
Do you need to stitch heavy-duty materials? Are you going to keep the machine in your house or is it going to need to be portable? How many different stitches and stitch types does the machine need to come equipped with?
All of these questions come into play, especially if it is your first time getting into sewing.
What comes with buying a $100 sewing machine? You are not purchasing a professional-grade unit, that’s for sure. Some of the best units in the world can cost upwards of $3000 and more.
If you are new to sewing, the most important thing that you are going to want to make sure the machine you buy offers is…
- Most basic stitches like the straight and zig-zag stitches. You probably want to consider some decorative stitches as well.
- Easy-to-use design, including a stitch dial, foot pressers, etc.
- A ton of features and accessories that you can experiment with (for example – needles, bobbins, LED lights, etc)
Projects That Can be Easily Completed With a Machine Under $100
As previously stated, a budget sewing machine like the ones above is not going to be the best option for industrial sewing or working with heavy fabrics. These are a few things that can be easily done with a machine of this caliber…
- Hemming sleeves – Hemming shirt sleeves or pants can be easily accomplished with machines like these, so don’t fret about that.
- Small Throw Pillows – A great beginner project would be to sew together some new throw pillows for the living room
- Tote Bags – One of the easiest projects that a machine like this can handle and is great practice to work on straight and zig-zag stitching.
This list of 7 of the best machines under 100 should be more than enough to make a great decision on a new machine for you or your beginner sewers. We compiled this list full of great options, now it is your turn to make a decision based on your needs, what you want to accomplish, and how you are going to use your new machine. The best option in our opinion is the Brother XM2701. It comes with everything a rookie could ever need and has a good price for what you are going to get out of it. Good luck in your sewing adventures!